Many riders enjoy the use of the use of an iPod in their day-to-day activities, whether it be listening to music while mucking the barn or plugged into their car before going for a ride. Not only can you listen to music, but now there are many free equine-themed iPod broadcasts (dubbed “podcasts”) that are updated regularly.
The podcasts can range from natural horsemanship to health care to discipline-specific themes, and have useful and interesting information. To search for horsey podcasts, use the following steps to subscribe to the ones you want and have them imported into your iTunes library (even if you don’t have an iPod, you can download iTunes for free!)
- Open iTunes on your computer
- In the left-hand column, click iTunes Store (make sure you are connected to the internet)
- At the top of the right side of the window, type “horses” “equine” “reining” (or whatever search topic you are interested in) in the search field
- On the left side of the iTunes Store window, under “Filter by Media Type”, click Podcasts
- The result will be lists of podcasts you can click on for more information
- Once you have selected the one(s) you are interested in, click Subscribe
To find the downloaded podcasts in your iTunes library, click Podcasts on the left-hand column of the iTunes library. You will see the cover art for each podcast, plus a little blue circle with a number. The blue circle indicates how many episodes of that particular podcast have been downloaded into your library.
If you would like to download more, or to listen to a particular episode, double-click on the cover art and that will take you to the next screen, where you have an option to “Get” a particular episode, or “Get all”. Double-click on any downloaded episode and that will start the podcast playing on your computer.
Try Horse Tip Daily for an interesting medley of many topics within many disciplines. The episodes are anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes in length, and features experts and well-known riders sharing riding and horsecare tips.